Finally A Weekend Full Of Sports In God Knows How Long

They're here! The sports are here! Man, what an exciting weekend it was chillin' on the couch with my girl catching up on baseball, basketball, hockey, and even volleyball. That's right ladies and gentlemen professional, AVP Volleyball was back this weekend in Long Beach, CA. Also, being that basketball and hockey aren't my diehard favorite sports, it was still good to see them back on the big screen. I for sure can say that I missed seeing my Celtics play. As for my hockey team, the Vegas Golden Knights, they start their quest for the cup in only 30 short minutes. In case you guys didn't get a chance to bask in the glory of sports being back, I'll give you a rundown of the weekend activities.

The NBA:


    In the realm of shooty-hoops, the top 3 spots include the Bucks, Lakers, and Clippers. Giannis is still a beast despite the layoff and even without Bledsoe and Connaughton, only lost by four points to Harden and the Rockets. The Bucks are currently 1-1 since the restart and are the favorites to win the championship. The Lakers and Clippers are also 1-1 and LeBron and Kawhi are just being LeBron and Kawhi. I'm not too worried about either team. The Clippers' loss was to the Lakers but Kawhi didn't have Lou Williams, Montrezl Harrell, or Patrick Beverly. In other words, they're gonna be scary when they return. As I mentioned, LeBron is being himself with Anthony Davis dominating as usual. Their defense is a little shaky but it's nothing their offense can't make up. So those are the favorites to win it all, but what about the teams who are slightly under the radar? I'm tellin ya now, keep an eye on the Rockets, the Heat, and the Celtics. Each team is underrated this year and has the potential to climb the standings real fast over the next few weeks. For the Rockets, Harden just became the all-time leading left-handed scorer so obviously, he's still got it even after the break. Also, the Rocket's have the league's 3rd best defense so watch out. With the Heat, Jimmy Butler and Bam have been leading the charge and don't expect them to let up. This team also has a chance to climb the ranks with the back half of their schedule being the PHX, IND, and OKC. Lastly, watch out for my boy Jayson Tatum and the C's finishing out the year strong. Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart have had good games each since the restart, and with Kemba being banged up, count on those three guys to carry the team. 

The NHL:


    Let's talk some slappy-puck. Almost every team kicked off last weekend playing their first games of the 2020 NHL playoffs. Games consisted of  East/West qualifying games and East/West qualifying round-robin games. Once these rounds have concluded, teams will be reseeded and the traditional 16 team tournament will start. Check out my last hockey blog for the teams and their seeds heading into the playoffs. Personally, it was great to see some hockey on my tv this weekend. Shoutout to my girlfriend for getting me to put it on haha (baseball was on too). It stinks for her though since she's a Ducks fan but we were both happy regardless to watch some tough ass dudes knock other tough ass dudes around. I'll probs miss my boys play tonight due to work but I'll be checking ESPN frequently.

I, like many other sports fans, still find it crazy that all sports were literally canceled for 4 months!! Like what!? I'm sure as hell happy they're back though!

To find all things Double Nickel 5port5, click the link below!

Comments