Cincinnati Reds pitcher, Trevor Bauer, is an absolute savage and I'm all for it. Before I get into exactly why, ya'll are probably wondering who the hell Trevor Bauer is. First off, he's an absolute stud of a pitcher who was drafted third overall in the 2011 draft. Bauer has played previously for the Diamondbacks and the Indians before joining the Reds last year. Bauer is currently slaying it on the mound this year and has posted a .93 ERA which is ridiculously good. In three starts he has mounted an impressive 32 strikeouts and only 7 hits.
But anyway, I'm writing about him not only because he's a beast pitcher, but because he is such a passionate player. Bauer is all about trying to connect the fans to the players and growing that relationship. Also, Bauer isn't afraid to speak his mind. It doesn't matter if he's talking to another player, an agent, or the damn commissioner of baseball! Bauer has been open about his dislike of how the Commissioner of Baseball, Robert Manfred, has been controlling MLB. I agree with Bauer in almost all of his takes. For example, MLB blackout restrictions. This means, that diehard, fun-loving baseball fans who have purchased MLB.TV (like I have), can't watch the team in the city in which they are currently in. For example, I'm in Arizona so MLB automatically blocks out all Arizona Diamondbacks games. THIS IS ABSURD!! This decision is all about money. MLB wants people in those cities going to the game instead of watching it at home. Well, how that hell is that working this year with COVID-19!?
So like Bauer, I've got some reasons to dislike Manfred. Professional baseball is terrible at marketing the game to its younger fans and this is a reason why. I could go on and on about other reasons too, but we're here to talk about Bauer. Along the same lines of being passionate and outspoken, Bauer lives for the "Free Joe Kelly" movement. This story actually happened a few hours ago. Earlier tonight, Bauer was told that he was going to get suspended and fined if he wore cleats that said, "Free Joe Kelly". For those of you who have no idea who Joe Kelly is, I'll post a brief synopsis of the situation below.
From ESPN writer, Jeff Passan: "Bauer has been an outspoken critic of the league's marketing and the Astros, who used a sign-stealing scheme during their 2017 World Series-winning season. While Kelly wasn't a member of the Dodgers team that lost to the Astros that season, Houston did knock out his team the Boston Red Sox, in the division series. Following the inning in which his fastball buzzed behind Bregman and a breaking ball nearly hit Correa, Kelly walked toward the Dodger's dugout, turned toward Correa, and offered his now-famous pouty face."
Bauer being Bauer, put Kelly's face on his damn cleats and plans to give away the cleats to a lucky fan who buys a shirt on his website. Bauer will then give all the proceeds to a charity of Joe Kelly's choosing.
In conclusion, Trevor Baurer is a certified g and a bonafide stud and you can't teach that. Also guys, you all NEED to check out his 2020 MLB COVID vlog on YouTube. It's hilarious, informative, and just awesome.
Check out all things Double Nickel 5port5: https://linktr.ee/DoubleNickel5port5




Comments
Post a Comment