So far, alternative facilities where the team could call home include their spring training facility in Florida and their Triple-A affiliates, Sahlen Field in Buffalo, NY. I personally don't think the Florida facility will work due to the amount of COVID cases in that area. There's too much risk for the players.
I recently read an article talking about how Hadlock Field in Portland, Maine could also be an option. Hadlock Field is home to the Double-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox, the Portland Seadogs. Now I realize that this is a little out of the way from Toronto, but as a Red Sox, I would like to see this happen. Maine has one of the nation's lowest COVID numbers and would make a good spot for a team looking to keep their players healthy.
Sahlen Field, home to the Buffalo Bisons
If I had to bet money on it, get ready to start calling the team the Buffalo Blue Jays for the 2020 season. Due to minor league baseball being canceled for the whole season, Sahlen Field makes the most sense in terms of player safety. The downside to playing at this field is that the clubhouses are small and the stadium lights are sub-par. The Florida facility is ready to go infrastructure wise, but the amount of COVID cases in Florida remains alarming for team executives. There should be a decision made by mid-week so I'll keep you posted.


Comments
Post a Comment